Thursday, April 23, 2020

Vietnamese Folk Music

When I was a young man I was involved in the reception of Vietnamese Refugees in Greylands Migrant Centre Perth. I later worked as First Mate / Diver on a Pearl Boat based in Exmouth and farming pearl shell in the Montebellos Islands. All the crew were recent arrived refugees. I was blown away by what great guys they were. My biggest problem was they were reticent to treat me as an equal. I out ranked them for sure, but I need to trust them to countermand me if I asked them to do something stupid by mistake. We soon worked out how things stood.

At night they listened to incredible female vocals which were initially strange to my ear. I grew to love those songs - the style of music at any rate. I never found out who the actual performers were.

I recently decided to research up on this subject.

Here are some names suggested by  Vietnamese Community in Australia: Victorian Chapter. 

Lòng mẹ -  This seems quite western.

Chiều Tây Đô Lam Phuong- This is more like it.

I would be interested in helping with Cultural Research in this field. 

I have qualls in Electronics and Geology.

Experience in Community Radio and TV doing Technical Production , Research and Voice overs.  

I am currently traveling around as a Grey Nomad in my converted truck. I will be setting up a voice recording studio.





No comments:

Post a Comment