Sunday, March 5, 2023

Ardiuno IDE on Bootable USB - Wont work But .....

Everytime I have used Arduino IDE I have found it difficult to keep track of the files. Also if the main OS gets messed up reinstalling messes the Arduino set up completely. 

This time I am going to install it by itself (and what ever accessories are required)

on a bootable USB.   

I have had issues before running OS off a USB due to slowness and buggy persistence. ISOs on USB are likely just to be for install and not designed to run realiably.

This time I used mkUSB on which Lubuntu ran like a bucket of snot. I tried again with a USBSSD installed on a flash stick and it seemed to work rather well ... will see. 

Ref: https://ostechnix.com/how-to-create-persistent-live-usb-on-ubuntu/

I should really be dual booting and if this is not successful I will. 

I really should but a second computer. Yeah Right. 


UPDATE: 


We that is working brilliantly off my SSD USB memory module. I am using Linux Mint Cinnamon. I have got all the basics set up - Bluetooth - Firefox - Wireless etc. 

Now I must take an ISO image of the system now it is all pristine. 


UPDATE: 

Apparently saving the persistant data is not (or was not) so robust. Maybe dual booting isnt such bad idea after all? 

My drive is setup is : ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Gigabyte model: GP-GSTFS31120GNTD size: 111.79 GiB   speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial: <filter>
           ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Western Digital model: WD Elements SE 25FE  size: 931.48 GiB serial: <filter>
           ID-3: /dev/sdc type: USB vendor: JMicron Tech model: Generic size: 476.94 GiB  serial: <filter> 

There apears to be a setup where you can run bash scripts to backup and restore the persistent data.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb/persistent#Backup_and_restore_of_persistent_overlay_data

 

Results  : mint@mint:/media/mint/usbdata$ bash backup
grep: /etc/upstream-release: Is a directory
backup works only for Ubuntu and distros based on Ubuntu

Conclusion. This wont work. Better to reinstall the OS and keep it tidy.

However - to make a USB stick with a cut down form of Linux and some tools ie. gParted. will work well.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment